Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds.
If not, visit
http://blogs.library.duke.edu/preservation/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Confessions of a Conservation Librarian

Yesterday I said to myself, "Self, you haven't backed up your computer files lately. Perhaps you should." To whit I replied, "Meh, maybe after I download this software so I can stream videos."

Of course my computer crashed this morning. I tried rebooting, rebooting again, and again. Nothing. All those files and images...perhaps they can be saved but my luck doesn't normally run that way.

*Sigh* How many times during the semester do I tell my preservation students about the fragility of electronic media and documents? How many times in my professional life do I tell people that they really need to back up their files regularly because you don't know when a problem will strike and you risk losing everything? I told you so...and I told myself so.

So, loyal readers, go to your computer right now and back up your files. Go. Now. I'll wait for you to come back....there, don't you feel better?

1 comment:

  1. Just went through this a few months ago with my home computer, and so wished I had practiced what I preach -- thanks for a necessary reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Followers